Thursday, November 03, 2011

Outages: A Shelter Macaroni writes a letter to the Hartford Courant Editor



We were in the dark here because of the storm. I tripped a dozen times, scuffing my loafers in the process, before we resigned our small tribe to shelter life.

Summer camp at Rangeley it is not.

This is so hard for me, because I can't run my Cuisinart regularly to self lubricate, my networked home theater doesn't work and may have been disabled by a surge, thus I'm going through jazz withdrawl.

My wife's hair is now frizzy beyond compare and I fear there may be damage to her already delicate ends.

I had to throw away our very best Brie as well as our delicate meats. Indeed, I'm most concerned that if I'm not at the outlet at the moment of power restoration, our newest stainless Sub Zero will be damaged.

I did ask the CL&P CEO's office to text me advance warning, however. There is some hope of civility in these matters.

My oldest Château Lafite Rothschild is no doubt sweating in its unsupervised state and without access to my remote weather station in the humidor as well, I fear my five boxes of Black Dragons have seen better days.

Upon arrival we were met by an "amateur radio operator" towing several handheld radios and wearing a bile colored reflective vest who directed us to park next to a 1995 Ford something or other. I stated my preference to find another parking buddy, but he insisted and I so hated to upset this man's holiday season so early.

For the past few days in the stead of Lavender hand cremes from Crabtree and Evelyn, I've been forced to use that reddish goop in the high school shelter lavatory.

There aren't even real hand towels, as they provide only a hand dryer powered by a smaller version of an engine I simulated at UTC while pursuing my dual MBA / MS degrees. It blows air so vigorously that it flattens out our thin skin while cracking and ultimately bruising it as it dries out.

And, oh my God. I've actually had to wear the same unwashed shirt from Brooks Brothers twice in the last week simply to keep up some semblance of gentility as I begin to rotate through the collection.

I told the chef at the shelter that while I enjoyed the lobster he diligently prepared, that henceforth I require freshly ground pepper for my red meats and pastas to which he sternly replied "go back to prep school." How assuming.

Children at the shelter have discovered that there is a large tree stump to kick in by the rear entrance.

Our youngest boy was struck in the shin by flying pieces of sharp bark.

After that near horror, we attempted to book an emergency cruise to the Med. Failing that, we instead resigned to the cottage on the Cape. There, we ordered a new natural gas generator to be installed in the main home in the Connecticut hills as soon as it can be built and delivered.

It can't come soon enough.

Shelter life is so gauche.

SPQR

No comments: